Director, Controls and Controller Engineering – GPD – Tokyo
Tokyo Head Quarter
- Responsibility Level
The Director, Global Controls and Controller Engineering provides leadership in a matrixed reporting and operational environment across Johnson Controls – Hitachi Air Conditioning. The Director is accountable for defining, implementing, and evolving winning embedded product control software, printed circuit board assemblies (PCBA), and remote controller products for room air conditioning (RAC), packaged air conditioning (PAC), variable refrigerant flow (VRF), chiller and refrigeration systems. Winning in this context includes having the required performance, the best cost, the best quality, and on-time delivery. Key partners that the Director must deliver winning products with include Product Management, the RAC, PAC, VRF, Chiller and Refrigeration product engineering teams, Project Management, Industrial Design, User Experience, Procurement, Manufacturing, and select external partners including, for example, key component and software suppliers as well as OEM/ODM suppliers of remote controls (i.e., wired, wireless and handheld).
- Principl Duties
- The objectives for this role are to:
– Deliver winning controls for JCH products on time,
– reduce controls development cycle time
– reduce controls cost
– improve controls quality, and
– improve JCH controls lead time and service parts availability while reducing working capital through standardization and simplification of JCH’s controls offerings.
- The controls offerings that this role encompasses includes:
– Outdoor Unit (ODU) controls– the heart of VRF systems – need to be maintainable over long product and service lifecycles.
– Indoor Unit (IDU) controls – the “customer experience delivery vehicles” for VRF and PAC and in addition the overall system “brains” for PAC and RAC – need to be maintainable over long product and service lifecycles.
– Inverters – variable speed drives for rotary and scroll compressors – critical to performance and protection of our systems. Also key to efficiently running motors and fans. Our inverters need to be maintainable over long product and service lifecycles.
– Adapters – software and hardware that connect RAC, PAC, VRF, chillers and refrigeration systems to each other and also to building automation systems and home management systems including, for example, stand-alone and embedded adapters that enable JCH products to participate in the Internet of Things. These are among JCH’s most complex products.
– Central controllers and software applications that run on them – many customers need to be able to control their systems centrally without having a building automation system and JCH central controllers provide this ability. These control platforms will also likely house a variety of higher-level applications like energy management, tenant billing, predictive diagnostics, etc. that provide important benefits for our customers. These are also complex products and are subject to significant technology migration over time.
– Wired controllers (wall mounted sensors and controls – primarily for VRF and PAC) and remote handheld controllers (VRF/PAC/RAC). These are our primary end customer touchpoints. A wide range of capabilities and price points are required for these products.
- The Director will lead the definition and evolution of the JCH PCBA and software architectures.
- The Director will lead definition and implementation of streamlined and standardized product development and testing processes and procedures for RAC, PAC and VRF controls.
- This role is global and can be based either in China, Japan, or India. Significant time spent in Japan is a requirement.
- Specific Accountabilities:
– Deliver PCBAs and embedded software meeting the requirements for RAC, PAC, VRF, Chiller, and Refrigeration product development projects on time, on cost and with excellent quality.
– Establish and evolve a scalable system architecture specification for the product development teams to build products against. Leads the governance and evolution of the JCH SW and HW architecture.
– Lead the use of model-based design tools and techniques (e.g., Matlab Simulink) to develop and test control software for JCH products.
– Delivers YoY development time reduction of 5-10% relative to the prior year by using standardized PCBA platforms and a modular software architecture.
– Delivers cost reduction of >5% YoY as a percent of purchases for our controls products relative to FY19.
– Reduces controls related Cost of Poor Quality by 3% YoY relative to FY17.
– Integrates JCH products with the JCH AirCloud family of IoT technologies.
– Leads both the investigation and the decision making relative to emerging technologies becoming part of the JCH system architecture for the 3-7 year technology and product roadmaps.
The person in this role must have demonstrated:
- Ability to lead by influence in a matrixed environment.
- Ability to understand and critically assess cutting-edge technologies and their relevance to the JCH architecture including, for example:
o network and communication protocols and interfaces, o microcontrollers o user interface technologies and techniques, o power electronics, motors, and motor drives (inverters) o RAC, PAC, VRF, chiller and refrigeration system integration into building automation systems and smart home eco-systems, o Embedded software, software application, and PCBA development techniques and tools. o Distributed, multi-tier software application development
- Experience developing and designing modular, distributed systems having end-to-end system requirements. Hands-on expertise in sub-system decomposition, interface/API design, software specification, hardware specification, system scalability, cybersecurity, and system performance.
- Experience with network architecture, operations technologies, technologies, and products. IP and cloud-based network communications experience a plus.
- Recognized subject matter expert in SW and HW architecture including among industry standards groups.
- Experience developing and implementing SW and HW architectures across multiple business unit within a significant company.
- Expertise in the entire product development lifecycle (requirements, design, implementation, test and deployment) is required.
- Experience working as part of large, multi-disciplinary, multi-function, multi-cultural teams completing full product life-cycle implementations for complex, configurable product offerings.
- Strong interpersonal communications, organizational and written/verbal communication skills, ability to influence and guide senior leaders in General Management, Product Management and Product Engineering, Sales, Procurement, and Manufacturing.
- Ability to work across multiple cultures. Experience working with Japanese engineering organizations desired.
- Minimum of 15+years total product engineering experience in product development and system engineering work.
- Minimum of 10+ years of system engineering experience designing and developing robust and commercially successful product platforms.
- Achievement of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or related technology from an accredited university. A Master’s degree in a related engineering discipline is desired.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.